In September of 1931, Rev. S. W. Hinman and his wife came from Batesville, Ohio, to Marietta, Ohio, to organize The Church of the Nazarene. Meetings were held for several months in a vacant store room on Front Street, near the St. Cloud Hotel. Later meetings were held in the assembly room of the Courthouse. The congregation met in the first church property, a house on the corner of Franklin and Market Streets, in January 1932.
Organization of the church was on February 15, 1932, with 25 charter members. At that time, Marietta was on the Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania District. The church property was improved, remodeled, and eventually had a seating capacity of 200. Walls were torn down inside the first floor and steps were built outside to the second story. The second story was used as the parsonage and for Sunday School classes. The record Sunday School attendance in this structure was on August 13, 1933, with 151 present. The church enrollment at that time was 53.
Rev. Hinman did excellent work in having the building remodeled, He did much of the work himself. Since the church had no building fund, he cashed in one of his insurance policies and invested it in the remodeling of the property. Due to ill health, Rev. Hinman resigned in December 1933. The District paid back the sum with interest to his widow after his decease.
In 1934 Rev. F. C. Hunt of DuBois, Pennsylvania, became pastor. He returned to the church there in May 1935, and Rev. Sadie M. Hall was assigned to the Marietta church. There were 22 members and the church property was heavily in debt, with no money in the treasury. Gradually, the church grew until all debts were paid in full, and many improvements were made. After thirteen years of service, Mrs. Hall resigned, At the time of her resignation there were 110 members, with $3,000 in the treasury.
In May 1948, Rev. and Mrs. Bernard Younce and their family began their work here. On March 11, 1950, the work of tearing down the old building began. Just a week and a half following demolition of the old building, construction of the new structure started. While the work was being completed, services were held in Broughton’s Hall at the corner of Maple and Oilman Streets.
Membership continued to increase and an annex was built beside the church, with a kitchen and room for additional Sunday School classes and fellowship activities. Several pastorates followed and many years of service to our Lord.
The Mill Creek Road property was built in 1975 while Rev. George Hazlett was pastor. An addition was added to the sanctuary a few years later, as the church continued to grow. In 1988 the Family Life Building was completed under the pastorate of Rev, Robert Styers. An addition to the Family Life Building to expand space for classrooms and youth activities was added under Pastor Terry Schmelzenbach’s ministry.